Scott is an experienced criminal and civil attorney and trusted advisor to his clients. He is skilled at guiding clients through high-stakes criminal and civil investigations, indicted cases, enforcement matters, False Claims Act litigation and qui tam defense, and complex commercial disputes. He regularly helps clients respond to government subpoenas and CIDs, prepares witnesses and represents them in proffers, interviews, and depositions, and advocates before federal and state government prosecutors and regulators. He has represented criminal defendants through investigation, indictment, plea, and sentencing. In the commercial context, he represents institutional clients as well as individuals, including business owners, company executives, doctors and other professionals, and has counseled them to favorable outcomes in numerous matters.
Prior to joining AEL, Scott was an associate in the litigation department of a top-ranked multinational law firm where he worked on large white collar cases and government investigations.
Scott is a graduate of New York University School of Law and Lafayette College, summa cum laude.
- Conducting internal investigation and coordinating with FBI and prosecutors on behalf of NJ-area religious organization into theft of funds by former employee.
- Representing former CEO and President of medical laboratory company in FCA qui tam action alleging fraudulent kickback scheme and lack of medical necessity of laboratory tests.
- Secured below-Guidelines sentence for NYC-based pain management physician who previously pled guilty for his role in an alleged fraud scheme in the Southern District of New York (SDNY).
- Negotiated favorable civil-only resolution with no admission of liability for NY-based healthcare system in investigation by the New York Attorney General’s Office (NYAG).
- Convinced SDNY and NYAG to not pursue charges against CFO in investigation into NYC-based healthcare provider that settled charges for fraudulently obtaining federal and state program funds.
- Secured a Second Circuit appellate victory for former CFO of a publicly traded company against a class action securities fraud suit against the company and its former officers and directors.
- Conducted internal investigation for and presented findings to Board of publicly traded healthcare company regarding insider trading-related allegations by DOJ and SEC.
- Conducted internal investigation for and presented findings to Board of payment integrity company into suspected misuse of funds and other malfeasances by founder and former CEO, and represented company in mediation and settlement.
- Represented former CEO of medical technology and device company in investigation by SEC.
- Represented COVID-19 test supplier in payment disputes and negotiations with private payors.