AEL was founded by three former federal prosecutors with nearly 60 years’ combined experience litigating, prosecuting, and supervising significant civil and criminal cases in both federal and state courts. As AUSAs in the Eastern District of New York and the District of New Jersey, our founding partners personally prosecuted or supervised some of the largest, high-profile healthcare fraud, computer, mortgage, and bank fraud cases in recent memory.
In the healthcare space, we have investigated, prosecuted, and litigated civil and criminal matters implicating the federal False Claims Act (FCA), the federal Antikickback Statute (AKS), the “Stark” law, the Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Food Drug and Cosmetics Act (FDCA), and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). We are accomplished in-court advocates and have personally handled scores of trials, hearings, and arguments in both federal district court and appellate courts, in state-level trial and appellate courts, and in alternative dispute resolution forums.
But we are more than just former prosecutors. We are skilled defense counsel with extensive experience representing individuals and institutions across multiple industries. We are former in-house hospital regulatory counsel. And we have served as federal district and bankruptcy court clerks. We leverage our unique blend of experience and knowledge to:
- Represent institutions and individuals in high-stakes government investigations, enforcement matters, and criminal prosecutions;
- Defend clients in qui tam actions and complex litigations and disputes;
- Navigate providers through the thicket of federal and state regulations governing the healthcare industry;
- Advise practices on compliance issues and help them create, maintain, and enforce internal compliance programs;
- Guide clients through federal and state regulatory audits, investigations, and reviews;
- Conduct discreet and efficient internal investigations, reviews, and gap analyses; and
- Counsel covered entities and their business associates on managing and disseminating protected health information in compliance with federal and state data privacy and security laws.
In every case, no matter the size, we are committed to providing personally tailored, highly responsive, partner-driven, efficient, compassionate, and zealous counsel, so that you and your business can continue to thrive.